Boutique Family Law Representation & Stellar Client Service

When support payments go unpaid, consider legal options

On Behalf of | Nov 17, 2014 | Family Law

Coming to an agreement on orders for child or spousal support can be a lengthy and frustrating process. But these determinations may be inevitable and they allow people to secure the support they need and deserve. The importance of resolving these issues in a fair and legal way cannot be overstated.

But even after the orders for support have been established, there are still complications that can arise. In these situations, it can be essential to seek legal guidance to enforce orders for support if they have been violated.

If child support payments have gone unpaid, for example, the well-being of the child could be negatively affected. It can be difficult if not impossible for a custodial parent to keep up with bills and pay for things the child needs, from medical care to after-school activities. Rather than wait for the problem to fix itself or assume nothing can be done, parents can take action to collect unpaid support.

There are a number of ways that payment can be collected. In some cases, actions involve direct monetary collection efforts like wage garnishment or interception of tax refunds or lottery winnings. Other methods are designed to penalize the delinquent parent until he or she gets current with their financial obligation. This can include suspension of a driver’s or professional license and even jail time.

Some situations can be resolved fairly easily while others require a more heavy-handed approach. Deciding on the best course of action can be very difficult for a person who has a limited knowledge of family court proceedings and may already be overwhelmed by the financial and emotional strain of unpaid support.

Thankfully, you do not need to become an expert in this area to enforce court orders for support. You can contact the attorneys at the Koblin Family Law Center who understand how to navigate the legal system and how crucial it is to collect unpaid support. If you are in a position where you have not been paid or fear that you cannot keep up with payments, you may be interested in learning more about how we can help you enforce or modify support agreements. Please visit our webpage on enforcing court orders for support to learn more.